Wednesday, September 14, 2011

my journey with yoga

“Yoga teaches us to cure what need not be endured and endure what cannot be cured.” ~B.K.S. Iyengar


In honor of National Yoga Month, I thought it would a good time to share a little background on my journey with yoga.

I started doing yoga in college--DVDs (okay, actually it was VHS tapes--wow, I’m old!) because lets face it, that was way cheaper than taking a class.  I found the practice to be relaxing-something I needed with the stress of university life.  I also found it therapeutic, having had hernia surgery my freshman year, which resulted in scar tissue and nerve pain.

Over the following years, I continued to enjoy a peaceful yoga practice when time allowed, but it wasn’t until the last couple of years that I realized how important it would become.

Complications from that surgery back in college came back to haunt me years later, causing chronic pain that basically changed my life.  A lot of activities I used to enjoy were no longer possible.  The pain began to take over my life.  My mind dwelled on it and soon I became overwhelmed with everything.

Along with the pain, other major changes were going on in my life.  I had recently quit the job I had been practically married to for many years, and was trying to decide what I wanted to do next.  Having more free time than ever, I decided to check out a neighborhood yoga studio--something I hadn’t had the luxury of doing when I was a workaholic.

This move changed my life.

The difference between a yoga DVD and an actual class was huge.  It was the best yoga practice I had ever experienced, and I left that day with a new sense of calm...and hope.

My practice deepened tremendously from then on out.  Through yoga, I really started to grasp the idea of the mind-body connection, which has been a life-saver dealing with the chronic pain.  It’s also helped manage my stress/anxiety, because let’s face it, almost everyone has that these days!  Finally, through this love affair that developed with yoga, I was inspired and started free to be yoga tees.

Yoga changed my perspective on how I view life.   My mantra “be here now” signifies the importance of living in the moment.  A good friend gave that to me, and it’s been a constant reminder to enjoy now.  I have a new sense of gratitude for everything and everyone around me.  I focus on the positive rather than dwell on the negative.  I am more compassionate and I have grown to be more patient (well....more patient than I used to be!) :)

I’ve learned to accept the things I used to fight--especially the pain.  I’ve learned to separate how I physically feel from how I am--meaning I can now have a great day even if my pain levels are high.  Before, if I was in serious pain, it ruined the day.   I’ve learned to listen to my body.  I know when to push...when to rest...and to honor that and be happy with where I am.

Yoga has also helped me reconnect with nature.  Growing up I was into saving the environment, endangered species, etc.  I sort of lost sight of all of that over the years, but yoga has helped put me back in touch with this side of myself.   I think there is more to come on this front...just need to figure out exactly what direction I’d like to take, but I know I can make a difference.  I believe we all can.

I hope I haven’t completely bored you with my yoga story.  But I wanted to share with you, so you’d understand why it’s important to me.  Yoga has changed me...it’s inspired me...it’s helped me manage pain...and live a better, more meaningful life.

If you have never tried yoga, I highly recommend checking it out.  Whether you are just looking for a new workout regimen, need an outlet to de-stress, suffer from chronic pain--or other health issues for that matter--yoga may be your best bet.   And of course, when you practice, don’t forget to wear your free to be yoga tee! Haha, couldn’t help myself! :)

Until next time...

Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment